CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We are going to the WHAT? Field

We have been spending a lot of time the past week in the field conducting focus groups. This has not only allowed us to see a lot of Uganda, but also to have some very interesting conversations with people who live in the rural areas. During these visits we have noticed a few things about Ugandans. The first of these is that they often ask rhetorical questions:

We are going to do WHAT? Conduct a focus group.
The people can't buy the products because they don't have WHAT? Money.
We are going to look at the WHAT? Stoves.
These stoves don't have the WHAT? Smoke.

Here is a highlight from a focus group:

One of our main questions is asking the people what they spend money on. Seeing as we can't speak Luganda, we have a translator.

Us: Can you please ask them what they spend money on
Translator: Blank Stare
Us: What do they use their money to buy
Translator: Asks them something in Luganda

Participant 1 raises hand (and through translation we find out what she said): I spend money on school fees and farming
Us: mmmm (every response here is a mmmmm)
Participant 2 is eagerly waving hand in the air: I spend money on fees for school and farming
Us: mmmm. (thank you for repeating that)
Participant 3 is practically standing up waving her hand: My money is spent on school fees and items for the farm
Us: mmmmm Can you please ask them if anybody spends money on anything else besides school fees and farming?

Translator: Says something to the group

Participant 5 and 6 start waving their hands wildly
Us: Yes?
Participant 5: I spend money on items for my farm and sometimes I have to pay school fees
Us: mmmm (I'm glad we got the message across)
Participant 6: I use my money for children's education and items for my farm.
Us: mmmmmm. Can you please ask them how they pay for their cell phones, bodas, bikes and radios.

Translator: Says something to the group.

Audience: Crickets.

0 comments: